Newcastle University, MFA (painting) – 1998-2000
Bradford & Ilkley College of Art – BA(Hons) Fine Art 1995-1998
Research, Publications, Exhibitions
- ‘Overlapping’ Gallery Artnow, Rotterdam, Holland April 2015. Series of large scale charcoal drawings.
- ‘Where’s my head’ La Lanta Gallery, Bangkok, 2014. Series of paintings exploring notions of beauty through the use of thick impasto paint.
- ‘Me, Me, Me’, 2009, Shanghai Studio, Shanghai, China
- ‘Lager, Lager, Lager’ 2007, Bangkok Gallery 01, CODE, King Mongkut’s University, Bangkok, Thailand
- ‘Newcastle Moor’ 2004, The Biscuit Factory, Newcastle, Uk
- ‘Middle of nowhere’ 2003, Queens Hall Art Gallery, Hexham. Visual art Work developed during varc residency.
- ‘In It Pretty’ 2003, Highgreen Estate, Northumberland, Uk. Installation of paintings & billboard piece
- ‘Removed’ 2002, Bradford Gallery, School of Art and Design, Bradford & Ilkley College.
- ‘Unexceptional things’ 2001, The Shed Gallery, Crouch End, London, Uk.
- ‘Gardeners Walk’ 2000, Generation X, Manchester, Uk. An exhibition of recent large scale paintings
- ‘Tango for a drowning man’ 1998, South Square Gallery, Thornton, UK. A series of paintings exploring the representation of abstraction
- ‘Trace’ 1995, South Square Gallery, Thornton. Works concerned with an interpretation of Seamus Heaney poems
- ‘Family Portraits’ Quebec Street Studios, Bradford, 1994. A series of abstract works exploring material and surface
Selected Group Exhibitions
- ‘Affordable Art Fair New York’, Sept 2016, La Lanta gallery, New York, USA
- ‘Flux II’ Dec 2015, RCA Galleries, London, UK
- ‘Thinking media III’ 2013, Chungmu Art Gallery, Seoul, Korea
- ‘7 Deadly sins’ Aug 2013, Synaesthesia magazine
- ‘Think smart’ 2012, Bergen, Norway
- ‘Urban Curations’ 2011, London, UK
- ’21ST Century pin up’, 2011, Finearte gallery, London, UK
- ‘Popup’ Gallery 2A Urban, 2011, Paris, France
- ‘Zero Stigmata’, 2011, Naples, Italy
- ‘Highgreen 10th Aniversary ‘, 2010, Northumbria, UK
- ‘New Ecologies’, 2009, Sheraton Hotel, Pattaya, Thailand
- ‘Sefton open’ 2005, Sefton Gallery, Liverpool. National open exhibition
- ‘Britart’ 2002, Brick Lane Gallery, London
- ‘Sea Monsters’ 2000, VANE, High Bridge Chambers, Newcastle, UK
- ‘Clean Blur’ 2000, Snow Gallery, Leeds, Uk
- ‘ MFA’ 2000, Hatton Gallery, Newcastle, Uk. Painting Installation of large scale heads
- ‘ Ida Branson Memorial Exhibition’ 1999, Atkinson Gallery, Millfield, Post-Graduate exhibition selected nationally
- ‘Cheers’ – Contemporary art from Britain – 1999 – The Webster Gallery, Santa Ana, California. USA
- ‘Graduate 98’ – Stroud House Gallery, Stroud, Gloucestershire, Uk. 12 promising graduates selected nationally.
- ‘Vital 98’ London Art House, Atlantis Gallery, London. Invited to exhibit in a showcase of new an emerging artists.
- ‘Paintings’ – The Lime Gallery, Laguna Beach, California, USA. 1998
- ‘Abstraction’ – Gallery La Brocha, Bilbao, Spain 1998 invited to exhibit alongside contemporary Basque abstract painter.
Past, Present & future – Morpeth Council, Northumberland, march 05
Commissioned to make a series of drawings in a historic market town, which also included running workshops with local middle schools & art groups.
VARC Artist in residence Sep 02-Sep 03
I was the resident artist for the organisation Visual Arts in Rural Communities. As well as developing my practice and work for exhibitions, an important aspect of the residency involved working with the local community, so I organised & ran painting workshops with local schools & Newcastle University.
Northern Arts Individual artists award – bursary towards the cost of materials and research to develop new work. -2001
British Academy AHRB – 1998 – Enabled to take up an MFA place at Newcastle University through a British Academy AHRB bursary, nominated by Newcastle University and effectively using the experience to develop and explore new directions in my practice. Culminating in an exhibition of large scale paintings. (For which I was awarded a distinction by the MFA examination board).
Yorkshire & Humberside Artist award – 1998 – awarded for exhibition costs in California, Bilbao,& Bradford.
ERASMUS exchange – 1997 – During my Degree at Bradford I was able to take a place on an Erasmus exchange in Bilbao, Spain and used the opportunity to develop contacts with artists and galleries. Exhibiting in two galleries in Bilbao.
Work Held & Represented
La Lanta Fine Art Gallery, Bangkok, Thailand
Gallery Art Now, Rotterdam, Holland
Media reviews & articles
Channel 7, April 2014, Feature on Thai television morning lifestyle programme
Dichan Magazine, Thailand, April 2014. Interview for Thai lifestyle publication
Bangkok Post, Thailand, 2014. Interview for Art & culture section.
Lyndsey Wright, Resident Artist, Hexham Courant, Jul 25th 03 – Article & exhibition review
Christene Brooks, Removed, Metro News, Jan 17th – review
Elaine Williams, Art and Soul, Guardian Education, June 13th 2000
Campbell-Johnston, Rachel ‘Vital Art’, The Times, April 21 1998 – review
Hewitt, John ‘Raw emotion of exuberant tango’ Telegraph & Argus Mar 1st 1998
Current Teaching position
Asian University, Chonburi, (full-time) 2009 – present
Lecture in the BA multimedia department which comprises of studio based/workshop classes as well as Theory based courses including, Mark Making, Art Theory, independent project and other courses as required. Responsible for course development and implementation which have recently included the introduction of on-line (Mooc’s) and blended learning environments.
Raffles Design Institute, Bangkok, Thailand (full-time) 2006-2009
Academic Director/degree programme co-ordinator, responsible for curriculum development/delivery and quality assurance, managing Academic staff and students as well as teaching a number of classes which included various Drawing classes, Major project, photography plus a number of theory classes including, history of visual communication and media studies.
Newcastle College, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK. (Part-time) 2001 – 2006
Responsible for teaching across a number of courses within the department of Art & design. Including, Foundation studies in art and design, BA Fine Art and Life drawing courses
Gateshead College – (part-time) painting & drawing. 2000-2005
Teach basic and advanced courses in painting. Teach courses in beginning and intermediate drawing and composition. Take responsibility for course development in area of speciality. Participate fully in departmental activities and curriculum development.
Bradford College of Art, 2002. As part of an exhibition I held at the Bradford Gallery, I taught & give lectures to the Fine Art degree students
Newcastle University – 1998-2000 I also gained teaching experience at Newcastle University working with undergraduates practising in a range of media, and different levels, foundation students to final year undergraduates which I was required to give Individual and group tutorials.
I have been a practising artist since 1992 committed to a rigorous development and re-evaluation of my work and subsequent reception through exhibiting opportunities.
Seeking opportunities and gaining positive responses leading to exhibitions regionally, nationally and internationally.